Welcome to Sowton Village
 
HOME - WELCOME TO SOWTON VILLAGE
 
 
SOWTON LANE
The approach to the Village
 
 
SOWTON VILLAGE HALL, EXETER. EX5 2AF
 
 
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
 
 
100 CLUB DRAW
 
 
HALL BOOKING & EQUIPMENT HIRE
 
 
VILLAGE SOCIAL EVENTS
Village get togethers
 
 
THE WAR MEMORIAL
 
 
BISHOP'S COURT LANE
Known locally as 'The Drive'
 
 
COURT LODGE
Formerly known as Back Lodge
 
 
TRUSTEES
 
 
VILLAGE NEWS
Latest news on what is happening in the Village
 
 
Minutes 2018
Minutes of Meeting Held
 
 
AGM
Sowton Village AGM 10th June 2017
 
 
LINKS
 
 
ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS CHURCH
Sowton Village Church
 
 
HISTORY & DESIGN OF ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS CHURCH
 
 
TIMES GONE BY
History of the people that have lived in and around Sowton Village
 
 
RECENT TIMES
 
 
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY VILLAGERS
Photo's taken at various times of the year
 
 
Minutes
Minutes of Trustee Meetings
 
 

Minutes 2018

Minutes 2018

SOWTON VILLAGE HALL

Management Committee Meeting Minutes:  8th February 2018

Held at the Village Hall, commencing at 7.30 pm

 

Present:  Jane Dodd (Chair), Michael O’Donnell (Treasurer), Sue Lawrie, Mike Fernbank, Shirley Wakadia (Secretary) Babinder Sandhar

 

Apologies: None

 

  • Minutes of Previous Meeting

·         The minutes of the meeting held on 10th January 2018 were confirmed as a true record

 

  • Matters Arising

·         Purchase of shrub in the memory of Noel Waine to be done in Spring 2018

·         Hall decoration is ongoing – thanks to all involved – to resume  when nights draw out

·         Possible fete being held in 2019 – to be discussed at later date

·         Coffee mornings to go ahead first Sunday of Month thanks to Table Tennis Group who will take in turns of hosting in Village Hall as before

·         At AGM show of hands to see re Coffee machine possible purchase

·         Chair JD to pass Agenda details to Secretary before meetings for distribution to committee

·         Treasurer’s Update

·         Bank balance as at 09.02.2018 @ £ 4685.00 – inc £159.00 float being held by MOD for sundries as they arise

 

  • Defibrillator Update

·         Thanks to BS for an excellent Defibrillator evening talk held 19.01.2018

·         Next Defib talk held 09.02.2018 – 6pm to 7pm thanks to BS for organising

·         Thanks to SL for organising & handing out flyers to villagers

 

  • Plans for Improvements

·         Building Regs applied for – Application still ongoing SL to contact builders for quotes

·         Still waiting for a quote from Mark Thomas re hall lighting & electrics & heating

·         Coat hooks installed, thanks to Mike Palmer

·         Adjustments needed to enable main internal door to main hall to close easily

·         Secondary Glazing / insulation units SL meeting Mitchell & Dickinson re quote 16.02.18 committee members welcome

·         Forthcoming Events

 

Beetle drive discussed for 17.02.18 – all equipment held – JD to source food

 

  • 09.02.2018 – 2nd Defib talk 6pm – 7pm

·         17.02.2018 - Beetle Drive

·         07.04.2018 - Easter Social Event + possible Easter Egg treasure hunt TBA

·         09.06.2018 - AGM @ 7pm + Quiz

·         21.07.2018 - BBQ @ 6pm + Duck Race @ 3pm weather/leat permitting

·         29.09.2018 - Harvest Supper

·         31.10.2018 - Halloween Event

·         08.12.2018 - Christmas Social

 

 

  • AOB
    • MF offered to take on H&S – to be discussed Inc. legal etc.
    • MOD suggested all committee members have key areas of responsibility
    • MOD suggested individuals take on ownership of an event on a rotation system so the responsibility is not taken on by the same members each time thus having a fresh approach and new ideas and delegating jobs
    • SL presented another village hall’s leaflet for a possible idea for our Village Hall with key contact details etc. after hall refurbishments completed
    • SW to step down as Secretary at AGM if no replacement is found before
    • JD to contact Dee to put in newsletter a request for a new secretary
    • Discussed possible outsourcing of catering for social events so the food isn’t the responsibility of the same person at each event as it is a lot of extra work
    • Adoption Consultancy who hire the village hall regularly requested being able to leave equipment out between sessions – no objections
    • SL will notify Adoption Consultancy if they need to clear hall if it is needed that evening / next day
    • Village Hall hire charges to be reviewed

Date & Time of Next Meeting

                          28th March 2018

                               Meeting Closed at 8.30pm

SOWTON VILLAGE HALL

Management Committee Meeting Minutes:  10th January 2018

Held at the Village Hall, commencing at 7.30 pm

 

Present:  Jane Dodd (Chair), Michael O’Donnell (Treasurer), Sue Lawrie, Mike Fernbank, Shirley Wakadia (Secretary)

 

Apologies: Babinder Sandhar

 

    • Minutes of Previous Meeting
  • The minutes of the meeting held on 8th November 2017 were confirmed as a true record

     

    • Matters Arising
  • Purchase of shrub in the memory of Noel Waine to be done in Spring 2018

  • Hall decoration is ongoing – thanks to all involved

  • Discussed re fete for 2018 – may be too busy with hall / kitchen refurbishment,

    agreed possible 2019 to be discussed at later date

·         Treasurer’s Update

  • Bank balance as at 10.01.2018 @ £ 4662.00 – outstanding payments  545.00 + £473.00 due to us

  • Christmas social profit = £ 510.00 – down on previous years due to printing costs

  • Proportion of Christmas social monies @ £126.00 donated to Church as per previous years

  • Agreed that Raffle tickets to be organized by end of October and distributed

  • No progress re: Gift-aid forms awaiting more info from HMRC –

    Meantime MOD to check with Lloyds Bank – no progress

     

    • Defibrillator Update
  • Defibrillator talk evenings agreed 19.01.2018 + 09.02.2018 – 6pm to 7pm thanks to BS for organising

  • SL to hand out flyers to villagers

     

    • Plans for Improvements
  • Building Regs being applied for – still ongoing

  • Villagers are helping in decorating the hall, ongoing and waiting for lighter evenings to continue

  • Waiting for a quote from Mark Thomas re hall lighting & electrics & heating

  • Notice board has been installed thanks to Mike Palmer in inner hall

  • Coat hooks are ready to be installed, thanks to Mike Palmer

  • Pele to busy so Pete will be asked if he can adjust hinges to enable main internal door to main hall to close easily

  • Secondary Glazing / insulation units SL to get quote·        

    Window dressing (curtains) to be discussed after hall decoration

  •          Forthcoming Events
  • 19.01.2018 – Defib talk 6pm – 7pm
  • 09.02.2018 – 2nd Defib talk 6pm – 7pm
  • 17.02.2018 - Beetle Drive

  • 07.04.2018 - Easter Social Event + possible Easter Egg treasure hunt TBA

  • 09.06.2018 - AGM @ 7pm + Quiz

  • 21.07.2018 - BBQ @ 6pm + Duck Race @ 3pm weather/leat permitting

  • 29.09.2018 - Harvest Supper

  • 31.10.2018 - Halloween Event

  • 08.12.2018 - Christmas Social

     

     

    • AOB
      • MOD suggested H&S, legal etc. plus areas of responsibility to be discussed
      • Possible Coffee Machine Purchase under consideration, show of hands over next few gatherings to see interest – not discussed
      • Coffee mornings finished, last one was beginning Jan 2018
      • MOD suggested if any committee member can’t make a meeting then they can suggest a different date to suit all
      • MOD suggested the ‘Agenda’ be done by Chair and not the secretary as it needs to evolve over time

 

 

    • Date & Time of Next Meeting

 

      • 7th February 2018

 

 

 

Meeting Closed at 8.45pm

SOWTON VILLAGE HALL

Management Committee Meeting Minutes:  8th November 2017

Held at the Village Hall, commencing at 7.30 pm

 

Present:  Jane Dodd (Chair), Michael O’Donnell (Treasurer), Sue Lawrie, Mike Fernbank, Shirley Wakadia (Secretary)

 

Apologies: Babinder Sandhar

 

 

    • Minutes of Previous Meeting
  • The minutes of the meeting held on 7th Sept were confirmed as a true record

     

    • Matters Arising
  • Ongoing re the shrub in the memory of Noel Waine

  • Pele’s painting of ceiling in main hall has been finished

  • Hall decoration is ongoing

  • Criteria not met re £500.00 grant from Crime Beat

  • Discussed re fete for 2018 – may be too busy with hall / kitchen refurbishment,

     postponed to discuss further

  • Duck race suggested with possible BBQ type event in place of 2018’s fete

·         Treasurer’s Update

  • Bank balance as at 08.11.17 @ £ 4164 – no outstanding payments

  • 100 Club raised £864 – profit £ 314 – consistent with previous years

  • Harvest supper raised £275.00 half to be given to church

  • No progress re: Gift-aid forms awaiting more info from HMRC –

    meantime MOD to check with Lloyds Bank – to be done

     

    • Defibrillator Update
  • Defibrillator has been installed under the village street light by the hall

  • “launch” /  talk evening TBA next spring

  • Instruction Cards have been issued – thanks to SL

     

    • Plans for Improvements
  • Plans for improving the kitchen have been approved by EDDC

  • Building Regs being applied for - ongoing

  • Villagers are helping in decorating the hall – thanks to all involved

  • £9731.00 quote received from Pete Densham re Kitchen fitting & toilets, SL has details

  • Waiting for a quote from Mark Thomas re hall lighting & electrics

  • The inner hall cupboard has been removed, notice board is on order & to be installed at a later date by Mike Palmer

  • Coat hooks on order, Mike Palmer to install at a later date

  • Pele to be asked if he can adjust hinges to enable main internal door to main hall to close easily – not done yet

·         Forthcoming Events

  • Christmas Social 02.12.17

  • Discussed re Food (soup & Sandwiches) Draw, Irish Bingo & possible earlier children’s event / entertainment

     

    • AOB
      • Sowton Diary Meeting on 10.01.18
      • Possible Coffee Machine Purchase under consideration, show of hands over next few gatherings to see interest
      • Church Contact Magazine will no longer incorporate Sowton Village news
 
    • Date & Time of Next Meeting 
    • Wednesday 10th January 2018

 

Meeting Closed at 9.00pm

Text-only version of this page  |  Edit this page  |  Manage website  |  Website design: 2-minute-website.com